Mikrofilm Sammlung. Familysearch.org
Originale: Niedersächsisches Landesarchiv, Standort Stade, Deutschland
About this collection
This collection contains parish registers from more than 100 communities in the northeastern portion of Lower Saxony and in the areas around Bremen and Bremerhaven. This region is known as the Elbe-Weser Triangle. The oldest of these records date to the beginning of, and just before, the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). However, most of the records come from the years between 1715 and 1852.
The Elbe-Weser Triangle encompasses an area bounded on the east by the Weser River running from Verden to Bremen to Bremerhaven; thence by the shoreline to Cuxhaven; from Cuxhaven southeast along the Elbe River to Hamburg; and from Hamburg along a line southwest back to Verden. Historically and politically, this geographical region corresponds roughly to the former territories of Bremen-Verden which were held by Sweden after the Thirty Years' War and which were a major part of the former Stade Region. In 1712 the region became the Electorate of Hanover and later the Kingdom of Hanover from 1814 to 1866. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Elbe-Weser Triangle was part of the French Empire. In 1866 it became part of Prussia. In modern times, until 1978, the area was administered as part of the Governorate of Stade.
Among others, the communities of Achim, Bederkesa, Lehe, Lesum, Ritterhude, Scheeßel, Visselhövede and Worpswede are included in this collection.
What you can find in the records
Events in the original church registers are recorded in the handwriting of the local pastor. Depending on the time period and on the individual formulations used, you may generally find the following details in these records:
- Child: Given Names, Birthdate, Time of Birth, Legitimacy/Illegitimacy, Baptism, Witnesses
- Parents: Father's Given Names, Last Name, and Profession/Trade; Mother's Given Names, Maiden Name and Profession/Trade; Parents' residence
- Confirmation Date, Last Name, Child's Given Names, Birthplace, Birthdate, Baptism Date, Parents, Residence
- Groom: Given names, Last Name, Occupation, Residence, Birthdate and Birthplace, details about his Parents
- Bride: Given names, Last Name, Maiden Name, Occupation, Residence, Birthdate and Birthplace, details about her Parents
- Date and Place of Wedding
- Deceased: Given Names, Last Name, Maiden Name, Occupation/Trade, Age, Spouse/Parents, Death Place, Time of Death, Cause of Death, Date of Funeral
More about using this collection
Under "Browse this collection,” select the City or District. Then, noting the specific content of a book, select the desired year-range. For some communities, name directories may exist. The sequence of birth, marriage or death records may not be consistent. In the church books, entries about the same persons may often be found on preceding or succeeding pages.