Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Shared Custom Facts GedCom Issue

Replies: 5

Re: FTM 2012 Shared Custom Facts GedCom Issue

Posted: 1329600196000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1329602130000
Andy

Actually I did do research on Behold. And I stand by my statement and regardless that Tamura Jones does or does not like a product for genealogy purposes.

I did however miss the fact that the product does not have an EDIT function at this time. My bad!!

However in general:

"I can not support a product that does not give the user a way to leave by using a well defined GEDCOM." Put in an other way, If you can get in with a GEDCOM you should be able to get out with one as well. And the GEDCOMs should be identical (more or less).

Even if they will "some day" implement the function for free, "some day" may never come! And free may be until they go out of business or get bored with genealogy.

Having been a Windows Certified Developer in a past life and worked for a large Windows development company I don't get too enthusiastic about the Windows Certification.

Don't misunderstand, it is nice to have this certification and can place a product above others that do not have the certification, however the certification only means that they follow certain testing rules in a Windows environment, use certain software development methods, install and uninstall well without issues or leaving behind stuff, handle errors like a good citizen, support (but not exploit) windows x64, and and have other charactoristics. Again all good things. The Windows Certification is also a marketing thing and many companies that do all of the right things with testing and have well behaving software, don't want the marketing part so they don't get the certification.

I'm glad you like Behold. Maybe I would also if I used it, but I will not use (or consider) a program that does not support GEDCOM export. Maybe when 2.0 hits the street then I will review it again.

EDIT: By the ay I do like the fact that if Louis does get GEDCOM export he plans to use 5.5.1 exclusively. :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tiptonian 1329324312000 
kj_norway 1329364979000 
Lindsay_Parry 1329434628000 
kj_norway 1329482112000 
AGHatchett3rd 1329490303000 
kj_norway 1329600196000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic