Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Shared Custom Facts GedCom Issue

FTM 2012 Shared Custom Facts GedCom Issue

Posted: 1329324312000
Classification: Query
I have submitted this as a bug report but I think it is important enough to post here.

I have found a serious issue regarding importing of GedComs into FTM 2012

I have a small number of custom family facts (marriage facts) these are used extensively throughout my files.
These were correctly converted and loaded into FTM 2012 from an FTM 2011 file.

In FTM 2012 saving as a Gedcom 5.5 file produces a file in the usual format.
If you import that file as an into FTM 2012 the shared custom facts are lost.
However Importing into FTM 2011 is OK

If you save the file as a GedCom for FTM 16 format you can import that file into FTM 2012 without loss.

This snippet is of a standard GedCom 5.5 file :-

1 EVEN Harold Henry Bayley
2 TYPE Witness (1)
1 EVEN Dorothy May Bayley
2 TYPE Witness (2)
1 EVEN JE Rigg
2 TYPE Minister

This one is the same snippet in the format of a Gedcom for FTM16 file
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Witness (1)
2 PLAC Harold Henry Bayley/
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Witness (2)
2 PLAC Dorothy May Bayley/
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Minister
2 PLAC JE Rigg/

Note that you have no option to save a tree in FTM 16 format from a web tree, ie building a new tree from your AMT.
Importing direct FTM 2012 produces the error but into FTM 2011 is fine.

These issues do not appear to affect syncing.

Re: FTM 2012 Shared Custom Facts GedCom Issue

Posted: 1329364979000
Edited: 1329365011000
You are describing the following:

0 @xref@ FAM
1 EVEN
2 TYPE

I also have several places in my GEDCOM that has this structure. I have reported this problem as well to support and have not heard they will fix the GEDCOM import problem.

However As you described by adding a PLAC tag (even an empty tag) the problem goes away. Good to know, but still a bug. Thanks for the work-around.

0 @xref@ FAM
1 EVEN
2 TYPE
2 PLAC

Posted: 1329434628000
Which is why I am waiting on this software to bring out a version which allows an EXPORT function.

http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/

As yet, it only does IMPORT, but amazingly well.
If, as stated, the next version will give the EXPORT function, then it may well be a great Gedcom clean-up tool.

Lindsay

Posted: 1329482112000
If genealogy software will not do a GEDCOM output even a poor version) then don't even thing of using the software. All they want is your $ then lock you into using (and renewing for more $) untill they either go belly up or they really hose your tree and then you can't get away.

RUN, don't walk, RUN away from this product if they can't do a GEDCOM export..

Posted: 1329490303000
kj,

Behold makes it very clear up front that at the present time it doesn't export GEDCOM.

I believe you should have done a bit of research on Behold, particularly in regard to the cost. You buy it once and then *all* future updates and upgrades are free.

If you are familiar with Tamura Jones and his software reviews you know how hard he can be. His review of Behold, even after mentioning the lack of GEDCOM exports, etc. ends with high praise for the product - something Tamura isn't particularly noted for.

You might also note that Behold is only one of 4 genealogy programs that has qualified to display the Windows Logo on their package- something neither FTM, Legacy, RootsMagic 5 has done.

Lastly, I've no connection with Behold other than a *very* satisfied user who is looking forward to the next update.

Andy Hatchett
FHISO.org

Posted: 1329600196000
Edited: 1329602130000
Andy

Actually I did do research on Behold. And I stand by my statement and regardless that Tamura Jones does or does not like a product for genealogy purposes.

I did however miss the fact that the product does not have an EDIT function at this time. My bad!!

However in general:

"I can not support a product that does not give the user a way to leave by using a well defined GEDCOM." Put in an other way, If you can get in with a GEDCOM you should be able to get out with one as well. And the GEDCOMs should be identical (more or less).

Even if they will "some day" implement the function for free, "some day" may never come! And free may be until they go out of business or get bored with genealogy.

Having been a Windows Certified Developer in a past life and worked for a large Windows development company I don't get too enthusiastic about the Windows Certification.

Don't misunderstand, it is nice to have this certification and can place a product above others that do not have the certification, however the certification only means that they follow certain testing rules in a Windows environment, use certain software development methods, install and uninstall well without issues or leaving behind stuff, handle errors like a good citizen, support (but not exploit) windows x64, and and have other charactoristics. Again all good things. The Windows Certification is also a marketing thing and many companies that do all of the right things with testing and have well behaving software, don't want the marketing part so they don't get the certification.

I'm glad you like Behold. Maybe I would also if I used it, but I will not use (or consider) a program that does not support GEDCOM export. Maybe when 2.0 hits the street then I will review it again.

EDIT: By the ay I do like the fact that if Louis does get GEDCOM export he plans to use 5.5.1 exclusively. :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic