Search for content in message boards

Early Long Island Terrys

Early Long Island Terrys

Scott Jolley (View posts)
Posted: 1053713722000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1053773190000
Surnames: Terry
Would love to correspond to anyone who has traced their Terry genealogy to the three origonal brothers (Robert, Thomas, Richard) who came to the US in the 1630s (Long Island NY). We are incurable collectors of collateral (Cousin) line family trees and would love to share data with you. Hope to hear from many of our cousins soon.

Re: Early Long Island Terrys

Posted: 1053738713000
Edited: 1080606817000
Would like to hear from you as well...was looking at this board, trying to find more information about Thomas Terry of 1650, and when he was married, and when his children were born...something seems wrong about the internet information that I have seen.

Ron Vest (View posts)
Posted: 1053808586000
Edited: 1053870113000
I have traced the Terry line from present in Missouri back to a William TERRY b 1724 in Botetourt, Virginia and d 1803 in same place. Bulk of my research is undocumented other thn what I have found on the different databases available online.

Does this line tie into to any of your research? If so, would like to share info with you.

Ron Vest

Posted: 1054048297000
Edited: 1054304938000
Is this Thomas a second generation from the original three Terry brothers who immigrated to Long Island, NY?

Posted: 1054049015000
Edited: 1054305039000
I am not aware of anyone in our Terry genealogy that moved south from Long Island to Virginia. Most often the "Northern" or New england immigrants moved west through the top half of the country and the "Southern" immigrants moved west through the southen half of the country. This was so much so that migration patterns can be of use in tracking genealogy. I would be mildly supprised to find out that your line of Terrys were from NY and did not come to the US through one of the southern ports such as the Chesepeak, Jamestown, or Charelston areas.

Posted: 1054171621000
Edited: 1080606817000
Surnames: Terry, Peacock, Bigge, Havens, Tuthill, Curtis
Hi Scott.
Yes, I don't know how much of what I have is accurate, as it is all Internet based, without documentation, but I have it that Thomas , Robert, and Richard were the children of James Terry and his wife, Alsa Ann Peacock.
My ancestor Thomas, was the oldest, married a Marie Bigge, and they had 5 children, my ancestor, the youngest of the 5 was another Thomas born about 1650, and married an Elizabeth.(last name unknown) they had 4 children, my ancestor was the firstborn, another Thomas (born 1686) who married a Ruth Havens,and they had 5 children, my ancestor was the firstborn, named Jonathan, who married a Lydia Tuthill, and they had 10 children, the second child was my ancestor, a daughter named Lydia. She marrie a Silas Beebe,they had a daughter named Desire, who married a Cadman, they had a daughter named Rebecca, who married a Sprague, they had a daughter, Emeline, who married a Rykert, they had a daughter Adelaide, who married a John Curtis.....John and Adelaide Curtis were my Great Grandparents.
Pre Cadman, almost all my information came from Rootsweb, Gencircles, Long Island Geneology, and Family Search .Org.
Post Cadman comes from family records, as well as a little internet help....does this match what you have? or do you want more information about siblings? and do you have any information that you would like to share? would like to see it either here or by e-mail.
the information that I would like clarified, is the marriage date for Thomas and Elizabeth, as the dates that I see on the internet don't seem real to me (children being born 5 years before the marriage, to a 15year old mother...)am hoping to find more accurate records.

Posted: 1055337350000
Edited: 1071597972000
Surnames: Terry, Ketcham
Hi,
You seem to know alot about Terry's. I am looking for a particular family that is married into the Ketcham line. My great grandmother is Louisa Terry and she married Philip Ketcham. Her parents were Ketcham Terry (who must be in the ketcham family and well.) The usually used first names of last name of relatives and he married Mary Snedicor. any information you have would be helpful
Thank you
susan Ryder

Posted: 1055338989000
Edited: 1055349294000
Sorry,I do not have a Ketchum Terry in my database. You did not state dates and places in your post so it is a bit difficult to make a stab at even guessing as to where your ancestors might have come from.

Posted: 1055339677000
Edited: 1071597972000
Surnames: Ketcham
My great grandfather John Wesley Ketcham was born in Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York. My great grandparents were married there.............. Around 1808

Posted: 1056656952000
Edited: 1087249773000
Surnames: Terry, Field, Goldsmith
My Terry is a little later than yours -I have no clue as to who was her father-Prudence was born Oct 26, 1786- she married Isaac Goldsmith. Their daughter, Abby (1805), married Joel Field in 1829. Is Prudence in your family?
Thanks, Barbi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic