Search for content in message boards

Lohman in Clinton County, MO

Replies: 20

Re: Lohman in Clinton County, MO

Posted: 1273371237000
Classification: Query
The information was taken from "The Missouri on the Border", book and 1970 Cameron Newspaper clipping.

John Lohmann came to the United States in 1851 with three families, Frederick Selle, Karle Kreese, and William Beechner. They left Bremerhaven, Germany on August 8, 1851 on the "Heinrich of Goghorn" arrived 3 months later in New Orleans, LA.
They then took a boat to St. Louis where they were met by Fred Selle, who had come to United States in 1849. The group then went to Weston, MO and on to Clinton County. The group built a church of logs in Shoal Township, in 1858 called the German Methodist Church. The services were conducted in their native tongue.
In 1879, the members replaced the log church with a frame structure which cost $3,000 and was considered a fine example of rural architecture. A parsonage was built a few years laer next to the church. The acre of ground that was given for the church was part of the original farm of James McBeath.
There was a burial ground near the church, but for some reason it was not used. A Mr. W.P.Harlan gave the some ground a few miles southwest of the church for a cemetery and this was used for the German burial ground. It stands today on a corner overlooking the countryside.
As the German settlers' children became of school age, they acquired the "new language", although they had been taught their mother tongue at the knees of their parents. So, church services were conducted only every other Sunday in German. Finally, as the younger people became the older people, services were in English. As better roads and better transportations became available, this German church, as well as many other rural churches was dismantled and the bell was stored in the Jacob Leffler barn near by. In 1931 it was given to the Cameron Methodist Church where it once more rang out the call of worship on Sunday morning.
(After research, I am sure the ship's name was "Heinrich von Gagern")

The below information is taken from "The Cameron Centennial" book, and Cameron Newspaper clipping

Besides the four families of Frederick Selle, John Lohman, Karl Kreese and William Beechner, many families continued to come and the German settlement became quite a colony. These families were Gus and George Heinz, Herman Dietzschold, Ed Leutzinger, John Marten, John Berbaum, Fred bHartell, August Ford, John Stickler, Phillip Ullrich, Adolph Selle, George Schofstall, Catherine and Nick Bauman, August Stein, William Stein, Ed and Hank Klein, Toby and George Gall, Jake Leffler, G. Leffler, Alex Rempher, Fred schlorff, Fred Selle, E. Beechner, H. Nieman, H. Renfrew, Frederick Henry, and Chris Schemp.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kdbrunner 1273326460000 
sherryk180 1273327404000 
sherryk180 1273356078000 
kdbrunner 1273361510000 
kdbrunner 1273364071000 
kdbrunner 1273369631000 
sherryk180 1273364890000 
sherryk180 1273366945000 
kdbrunner 1273371237000 
sherryk180 1273962852000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic