Search for content in message boards

Samuel Hadley & Jane Martin of Amesbury, MA

Replies: 0

Samuel Hadley & Jane Martin of Amesbury, MA

Posted: 1364222573000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hadley Martin Cole Davis Coleby Barnard Pemberton Peasley
In researching the ancestry of my 6th great grandfather, Philip Cole of Amesbury, I have come across a deed from 1714 where Philip and his wife Mary sell 1/3 of a 40 acre lot in the northwest part of Amesbury to Ephraim Davis of Haverhill. The lot is bounded on the north by a lot owned by John Colby. Additional information in the deed states that Philip originally acquired this property in 1707 from "my honored father, Samuel Hadley". I am making the assumption that father means father-in-law and that Mary's maiden name was Hadley. I can find no mention of a daughter named Mary in any of the records concerning children of Samuel and Jane Hadley. For that matter, I cannot locate proof of where the oldest of Samuel and Jane's children were born nor where Samuel and Jane were married though one source gives a date of Aug 11, 1676 at Amesbury but no proof of this exists in the Amesbury vital records.
There is a book published 1887 by Samuel Page Hadley of Lowell, Massachusetts entitled "Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Moses Hadley and Rebecca Page of Hudson, NH together with some account of George Hadley of Ipswich, Mass and his Descendants".
The book describes another 1/3 of this same parcel being sold the same year to another son-in-law Ephraim Pemberton. The book also mentions that Samuel originally bought the parcel from Joseph Peasley who in turn had bought it from Thomas Barnard.
I estimate that Philip and Mary were married about 1697 since the oldest of their 6 children was born in early 1698 in Amesbury. I cannot locate where and when Philip and Mary were married although there is proof they moved from Amesbury to Wells, York County, Maine about 1716.
Another interesting point is that there is mention made in several references that Samuel Hadley was born about 1650 or 1652 in Ipswich but no specific proof is given.
I have located a christening record of a Samuel Hadley, son of George from August 3, 1652 that occurred at St Lawrence Jewry and St Mary Magdalene Church on Milk Street, London, England.
Are these the same folks from Ipswich, Mass? If they are, then various references are incorrect in saying that George emigrated from England before 1650.
Can someone please straighten out these inconsistencies for me?

Find a board about a specific topic