This is a biography of the Plummer family who settled in Cambria county about 1794 and still have descendants there today.
Excerpts from Plummer American History
Richard Plummer and his brother John arrived in Colonial America from England in 1767. They resided in Maryland prior to migrating to the banks of the Raystown branch of the Juniata river, Bedford county, PA prior to 1774.
John Plummer was killed by Indians near Coffee Run, Woodcock Valley, Bedford County, in 1780. At the time of John's murder, his wife Elizabeth was not in the immediate vicinity, and was not involved with the Indians, but their three children were taken captive. One son, Eli (age about 10 years) and two daughter's Nancy and Sarah, began the long trip to Canada as prisoners of the Indians. Nancy died en route to Canada, and Sarah remained with the Indians, never returning to Woodcock Valley. Nothing is known of Sarah and her life with the Indians. The son, Eli, returned after the Revolutionary War and was met there by his mother Elizabeth who had fled to Baltimore Maryland.
Richard Plummer settled in Hopewell twp, Bedford County PA prior to 1774. Richard settled on 450 acres of prime land he obtained from the William Penn heirs. The land was known as "Proprietors Manor". Approx. 20 years later (1794) Richard was informed by the Penn heirs that the Proprietors Manor estate, previously granted to him could not be passed to Richards heirs, because of the Penn's desire to retain the property.
Because of this restriction on the title, Richard, son John, two daughters and a wife, in the company of other settlers moved west across the Allegheny mountains in about 1794. Word of mouth through 5 generations relate that the Penn heirs granted Richard about 300 acres of land, south from the present town of Wilmore, CAMBRIA County, PA and that Richard or his son John sold off all but 177 acres of this land to John Buck, Thomas McGough and John Knepper. this 177 acres is located in Croyle twp, Cambria County, and is 2.1 miles north of the present town of Sidman (formerly called Lovett). This grant by the William Penn heirs to Richard Plummer was in payment for Proprietors Manor. It has never been established as to whether or not Richard lived on this property. It is established that his son John did improve the land prior to 1800, and that he had deed to it in 1825. This Richard Plummer estate was passed from father to son-Richard to John to Isaac to Samuel to Frank E. and Charles E. Plummer. After Samuel died in 1897, Frank and Charles "bought out" the remaining heirs and owned and operated the estate (177 acres) in an undivided one-half interest relationship. After the death of Charlie in 1936, and the estate was settled, Marcellus Bey? purchased the south 120 acres, which included the house and farm buildings with Frank retaining the north 57 acres. These 57 acres were passed from Frank and his wife Arzella (Skelly) to their children, and in 1984 were owned by Mary E., Samuel J., Martha E., John A. and his wife Helen F. (Schadle), and franks and Arzella's granddaughter and her husband, Curtis C. and Katherine (Plummer) Hostetler. John A. Plummer and his wife Helen have built a home on part of the original Richard Plummer estate and live there today.